Saturday, November 27, 2010

Knuffle Bunny: A Cautionary Musical

I've been looking forward to Creed getting old enough to start going to live performances.  He rarely makes it through a movie so even though I've been dying to take him to the circus or a play or a concert, we've held off because we wanted to be sure his first experience would be a good one.  When my mom called me to tell me out a performance of Knuffle Bunny: a Cautionary Musical I knew it would be perfect for Creed since it's based on one of his favorite books by Mo Willems, it's only an hour long, and my mom, Marissa, and Logan would be joining us.

Well, the fateful night arrived, and lo and behold, there was a blizzard warning.  Yikes! Luckily, the weather in Provo wasn't too bad so we decided to brave the storm and keep our promises to these very excited little guys.
 It was worth it to see Creed dancing in his seat and cracking up.
 He has carried his Knuffle Bunny everywhere since then.
 I remember the first play that my mom took me to when when I was about five.  We lived in Tennessee and it was a children's play about Peter Pan, and I was pulled from the audience to be Pam Pan.  Since then I've fallen in love with literature and theater.  I even spent four months living in London seeing every play I could afford.  Maybe it's sounds silly, but I think that's part of the reason I've been hesitant to take Creed to any live performances; I love them so much that I knew I would be disappointed if Creed didn't, but I want him to be his own person.  Do you ever feel that way about sharing things with your kids?  It makes me wonder if there was anything that my parents were excited to share with me and my siblings.  I know I got my love of old musicals and holiday decorating from my mom and my love of quirky films from my dad, but if he ever hoped I'd be a soccer star, I sure did disappoint (he played on a semi-professional team and gave it up to go to school).

Parenting gives you a whole new perspective, doesn't it?  I might have disappointed my parents by not sharing some of their interests, but I'm pretty sure they felt the same way that I do about Creed, I just want him to find things he's passionate about so he can live a happy life.  For now I guess it's just about exposing him to what's out there and helping him explore.  Those big dimpled grins are worth it.

1 comment:

Linsey said...

Super fun!