Sunday, May 31, 2009

Creed at Two

When Creed was born, we decided to take his picture every month with the same stuffed toy in the same big leather chair so you could see how much he grew over the year.  Now this is an annual tradition (although we just got around to taking his picture this year so this is technically Creed at two years and two months).

Larry is not usually around when there is enough light to take Creed's picture so we went for it today even though Creed has a gigantic mosquito bite on his forehead.  That chair is now in the darkest room in our basement so there wasn't a lot of light, but we tried anyway.
Creed has my heart.  We have turned into those doting parents who think their child is the most adorable kid in the whole world. He's just so sweet.  And he already tries so hard to get a laugh from you.
He copies everything he hears people say so we hear a lot of funny phrases like, "Rock and roll mommy!" His most common phrase is, "Oh, boy!"  He says it when something exciting happens, but he also says it when something funny happens and he slaps his forehead while he says it.
These days he want's to do everything "I-self!" and he's so smart.  He counts to twelve (usually forgetting seven), he knows the alphabet in capital letters, he knows shapes, and he knows colors (although we're fairly certain he is colorblind like my dad and can't tell red and green apart or purple and blue)
I am completely astounded at how much he's grown up since a year ago.  Can you believe a year ago he was such a little chunky baby?
At least he's still cuddly.  He loves to sit on our laps to read books and he loves to be rocked a little before bedtime.  His favorite books of the moment are Freight Train by Donald Crews, Not a Box by Antoinette Portis, Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion and Margaret Bloy Graham, and Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems.
He's obsessed with typical little boy things; trains, diggers, robots, bugs, the movie Cars.  He collects little Pixar cars.  Sally is his favorite and he keeps telling me that he really wants Luigi.  He doesn't like to play by himself which means hours of Larry and I on our tummies on the carpet driving cars and ages of driving one of his two trains around and around the same track, but it's worth it because it makes him so happy.

Even though he is only two, he is such a good little friend.  He loves to hold hands and make his friends giggle.  He really misses Jesse and tells me every day that Jesse went on an airplane to "A-York"  We're thinking about putting him in preschool this falls just so he can make some new friends (I was totally surprised that most of the preschools in my neighborhood start accepting kids at 2 1/2, but I guess that Creed's ready, and I think he would really love it)

How can he possibly be so grownup?  I still think of him looking this way.

7 comments:

Camala Turnage said...

Hi, I just found your blog and I love reading about your little Creed. I have a 19 month old (my little one's name is Cooper) and I can totally relate to so many of the things that your wrote. Little boys are the best, aren't they? Have a great 2nd year!

Annie said...

i asked piper today if creed was a baby and she told me "no, creed's a big girl"

Anonymous said...

once again after a hard day i come home to a wonderful entry with the most adorable pictures
he's gonna be a BIG tall boy my oh my


if i were closer i'd offer to be his baby sitter anytime

he's just way to cute

Mom said...

How time flies - seriously, don't blink or you'll miss it! He is growing up way too fast for this old Grandma - hugs to all of you -

David said...

There is a group of parents for whom "doting" is redundant. I am happy to call my self one. My friend Eric (also a member) long ago shared a parenting revelation: that all those adages are indeed corny, but they're true... and you don't even mind being corny.

The first one that rang true for me was that "you love them more than you ever thought you could." Of course, the second is that "they grow up so fast!"

You and Larry are two of the best (doting) parents I know.

Nikki said...

I have a smile on my face and tears in my eyes. How, oh how, did he suddenly become such a big boy?

And regarding how good of a friend he is . . . just remember, children do learn so much from their parents.

We miss all three of you!

Love and hugs,
Nikki

WendyandGabe said...

Creed is just darling and I just adore the fun outfits you find for him! I like reading your posts about him because it gives me an idea of what Persy might be doing in a year and it blows my mind. It's rather semi-sweet to watch your kids grown older, isn't it?