Friday, October 24, 2008

Discovering our city

Luckily, I have a new friend in my neighborhood, Melissa, who loves to try new things too, and her son, Jesse, is just one week younger than Creed. Melissa and I are always talking about places around town that we want to check out so we decided to pick one day a week to get together and explore. We take turns choosing the places we go every other week. Since last week was my week and the weather was so beautiful, I chose Gilgal Sculpture Garden and Les Madeleines Bakery.

Gilgal Garden was created by Thomas Battersby Child, Jr. in the mid-twentieth century. He built these bizarre sculptures in his backyard and it is now a public garden. It's one of those places you could drive by all the time without ever knowing that it's there.And who doesn't need to see a sculpture of Joseph Smith mixed with the Sphinx?
Les Madeleines Bakery is just a few blocks down the street so after the boys got their wiggles out, we stopped in for a treat at the famous bakery. It's pricey, but I still can't wait to go back some time for lunch. The first time I go to a bakery I love finding out what they are known for or what their most popular item is and ordering whatever it is. They are known for their Kouing Aman, and I almost didn't order it, because it seemed overpriced, but I did and I'm glad I got to experience it because it was good!

1 comment:

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

i love both those places! and i think you are the fastest person ever at making lots of friends!