Thursday, October 16, 2008

Costume debate of 2008

Usually about this time of year, we are busy throwing Halloween parties and coming up with coordinating costumes. This year, we're just busy making friends so we'll have people to actually invite to a Halloween party next year, which means that Larry and I don't need Halloween costumes this year, and Creed is free to be just about anything.

I've been feeling uninspired (because it's not like Creed really gets Halloween and can tell me what he wants to be this year) so I was just going to borrow a costume for Creed, but I'm feeling guilty about that. I know it's silly, but I feel like I should be busy making him something. I think I've finally come up with two options that Creed would be excited about, but wouldn't be too difficult for me to make.


First, Pigeon from Don't Let The Pigeon Drive The Bus, one of our favorite picture books. Second, a robot. We have a little Halloween decoration of a kid dressed up like a robot and Creed LOVES it. He frequently points to it and says, "robot!" and smiles and squeals, and makes us pick him up so he can get a better look.

this image is from here.
So what do you think I should do? The pigeon costume would be more comfortable, but a little bit harder to make. My mom says her worst Halloween costume ever was a robot. The box she used was too big and the hole in the bottom was too small so she had a hard time walking and couldn't keep up with her brothers while trick-or-treating. I worried that Creed wouldn't wear a robot costume and it would be hard to pick him up and carry him in one (a necessity at this age) but I think I could make one out of craft foam that would stay square, but would be flexible and light.

What do you think? I'm leaning towards pigeon because how often will I get to choose what he's going to be and he's a lot less likely to choose a pigeon than a robot when he gets older.
Or, do I give up the guilt and buy this adorable penguin costume on clearance at the Children's Place, which I also know Creed will love? (thanks Melinda and Keri for spotting it for me!)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't Let the Pigeon Eat Too Much Candy!! I obviously favor the Pigeon. BTW - I ordered one of your mom's Halloween Garlands . . . and I LOVE it! I'll have to send you a picture. Oh, oh, and expect a package in the mail sometime soon . . . we are going to the Pumpkin show tomorrow and we owe you some treats (and a certain 33 year old a belated b-day wish). We miss you all!!! Such a long rambling comment . . . perhaps I should have just picked up the phone and called you tonight. : )

Kenny, Tara, Ashley said...

Well, if it were me I'd buy the costume at Children's Place because it is darling and it would take me a year to make something. BUT I am me, and not you. You have an amazing gift for creating and I am sure your creation would be even more amazing and darling than the costume you could buy. Either way, I don't think you can loose in the cuteness category. Tough to choose-but I vote for the pigeon over the robot.

lisa h. said...

you have to do the pigeon!! it would be ADORABLE!

evan is going as a robot...well, if i can finish it in time. maybe it's a better costume for an older kid to wear, but i'm sure you could figure out a comfy way to do it.

here is a site we looked at: http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/robot-costume.html

Reba said...

Robot would be difficult to carry or to put in a stroller and you will probably do both.

I was just lamenting the fact that there will be no Ford Halloween party to enjoy this year :(

I miss you. lots. and not just because of your fun parties.

Kelli Radmall said...

I agree with your buddy who said they would buy the costume but YOU should make it. Me not crafty.You can do it, I believe in you. You've got the skills. The pigeon would be darling. Costumes that are boxes are difficult to walk in, etc. I was a die (singular of dice...)one year and I couldn't reach my hands around the front to hold my pillow case very well. Tragic.

Grace said...

Penguin is comfy also and in a few years he will not wear that either. Don't show him too much you pick! LOL! The pigeon is too stinkin cute! Grace

Mom said...

I'm the contrarian. ROBOT. I love the Pigeon BOOKS - but I love that Creed says "robot." He's going to be confused about being allowed to go up on everybody's porches and ask strangers for candy. I thnk he'd get a big kick out of dressing as a robot - if he doesn't freak about seeing his face go away under a costume. Robot makeup?? hmmm...maybe pigeon....whatever you choose, it's going to be adorable.

L.R.L said...

This isn't costume related. Have you visited: www.yourheartout.com

When I moved here 'your heart out' helped me feel like a local, which was just what I was looking for...just wanted to give you a heads up.

p.s. I vote Pigeon

Anonymous said...

No need for guilt. How many people do you know make their kids costumes versus buy them?
Pigeon is cute--of course I'd buy it. But if you think you'll regret not making it then have at it. But, then do you have to make all costumes from now on? ;)
~Rachel

wandering nana said...

You could do a robot with a more rounded body and then you could use a silver cloth, and he would be comfortable as well as mobile. You could also use foam squares (tied together at the corners) to form a box too and cover with silver material. Good luck.. he'll look cute no matter what he is in. Also, I noticed someone said they ordered your mother's garland. Is there a site to order it from?

Stephanie Ford said...

My mom has an etsy shop for her garlands at socharmedimsure.etsy.com or you can just link there from her blog, kimborup.blogspot.com.

Thank you all for your ideas. My friend Melinda picked up the penguin costume for me for less than $10, but I think Creed is going to end up with two Halloween costumes. Stay tuned!

Enriched-Mom said...

My son's favorite costume was a homemade robot. He loved it. We put in battery operated Christmas lights for his panel. It was so much fun.

Just visiting but what a fun blog!