Tuesday, August 21, 2007

To Everything There is a Season

Well, this blog hasn't been too introspective lately, which is a little sad because this is basically the only record that I'm keeping of my life at the time and there's so much that I want to remember. So here is a brief summary of my life lately.

I love being a mom, but it is hard. Really, really, hard. I'm trying to keep in mind that Creed is not your average baby. Most babies sleep a lot more and most babies don't spit-up gallons per day. It's leaving me with a serious lack of free time. I knew I would no longer have a lot of time to myself, but I imagined nap times leaving me with time to write or clean or blog or sew and early bedtimes full of more of the same. No such luck. I feel like I have to put off so many things that I would love to do to take care of Creed instead. Yet, I look at that cute little face everyday, and I know that I'd much rather put off everything else and enjoy the chance I have to lay on the living room floor reading stories to him.

I'm sure that I would be complaining a lot less if Larry was around, but we barely see him right now, and I have moments when I need a break, and I know there isn't going to be one (this is a particularly bad month, other rotations will be much better). I haven't gone to bed before 2 a.m. this month because once Creed goes to bed around 10 pm, that's the only time I have to do things, and I hate to relinquish that time to sleep.
All of that said, I've heard a million people state that they love their kids more than they ever thought they could, and I thought I understood what that meant until I had Creed. He is wonderful and perfect, and I'm more in love with him everyday. I really do love him more than I knew that I could. I've also felt myself falling more in love with Larry over the years, but watching him be a dad and cuddle with Creed has magnified all of those feelings that I had for him. We just wish that we could see him a little more! A lot of the pictures that I've been posting here have been for Larry so he doesn't miss out on the things that Creed is doing. I took this picture so he could have a visual when I explained to him how difficult Creed was to feed yesterday when he was really excited about squash baby food.

I wish that I could say that was what Creed did when I let him play with his food, but that was all me trying to get it in his mouth. He was so cute I couldn't get frustrated and just embraced the mess. This picture shows exactly why we've taken to stripping him down to his diaper when we feed him. We tried a bib for awhile, but he was so interested in chewing on his bib that we couldn't get any food in his mouth.

I thought that I would have a problem with the days getting repetitive and feeling bored, but I don't. I can't cram enough in every day, and Creed is constantly doing something new. The past few days he learned how to cough and I think he likes the sound of it because I've been hearing many little fake coughs over the past three days and he is completely healthy and smiling when I look at him. He also keeps flipping over onto his stomach in his crib and then crying until we come in his room and flip him back over. I decided to try taking him to a dollar movie with me today, assuming that I would probably have to leave, but needed to try something else new to add to my list before my birthday, and he was perfect. I got to watch the whole movie and he didn't make a peep!

After the Fourth of July I always look forward to the end of summer because fall is my favorite time of the year. I'm especially looking forward to it this year because September is going to rock. We have fun trips planned and we're looking forward to lots of Larry time, and Marissa is due to have her baby any day. Then there's our annual Halloween party to plan, and let's not forget the Buckeye football season is starting (note to self, find Creed some buckeye gear). And bring on the fall weather!!!!!! I can't wait!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And I do appreciate the pictures, thanks Steph! I show them to 341 people every day, usually unprovoked.

And I loved you tons and tons, but seeing you and Creed together just warms my heart and makes me happy and love you even more!

Plus, he is the cutest kid EVER!! (I keep saying it, because it's true!)

Noelle said...

This is such a great post Stephanie! I hope I have as great an attitude as you do when I'm in your place in 3 or 4 years and I lose my husband to medical school!

I am Laura said...

Being a mom sure is great. I love it too. OH and they do stop spitting up. That day will come and you will be so glad. I hated changing my clothes and my kids clothes every hour or so.

lisa h. said...

so sorry he's not sleeping much, hopefully he'll sleep longer soon....i have to say though, my kids go to bed around 7 and I still stay up till 2am!

that's awesome you took him to the movie! we went mon night and calder was too scared (shrek) so she and I ended up playing at the pet store until joe & evan got out.

it is hard being a mom....sometimes i think going to a job would be so much easier, but who wants to go the easy way!

Anonymous said...

You are a fantastic mom, Steph, and Creed is a very lucky (and adorable) little man!! I know it is hard and I know that it is all too easy to give up sleep just to get something done and feel accomplished. But with that said, please do take care of yourself. Some of the best advice I've received on this subject is that I can do it all - I just can't expect to do it all at the same time. So, I will have times in my life when I spend free time volunteering and other times when I focus on house projects . . . and some day, I will have enough free time again to sit down and devour a book in one sitting. Until then, I'll continue to read my ten minutes of Harry Potter before I fall asleep. You are right . . to everything there is a season and right now baby food is in full bloom. P.S. - Audrey is trying sweet potatoes tonight - wish us luck!
Love ya,
Nikki