Sunday, July 13, 2008

Salt Lake City Farmer's Market

Last week I visited the Provo Farmers Market and it was a sad, sad scene. There were about 15 booths (I'm told some booths were missing due to the holiday) and only two of them were farmers. One was a local farmer selling herbs, the other was pulling the same boxes shipped from places like California and Mexico that you would see at any grocery store to stock his booth. It really made me miss Columbus, where there are several different Farmers Markets and they have strict rules about only selling local produce picked within 24 hours so you're supporting locals, getting a very fresh product, and cutting down on the pollution caused by shipping produce. On top of all of that, they have an amazing selection.



Well, not to be deterred, I heard good things about the Farmers market in Salt Lake City so Creed and I headed there after dropping Larry off at work on Saturday morning. The Farmers Market is held in Pioneer Park on 3rd South and 3rd West from nine a.m. to one p.m. every Saturday during the summer. It's kind of a sketchy park, but volunteers always clean it up right before the Farmers Market and I felt completely safe there.



Oh was I pleasantly surprised! It was great! I couldn't believe how much produce was there and it was all grown locally. They had a row the whole length of the park of just farmers and the rest of the park had artisans and other food booths.



I only had my little point and shoot camera with me and I was juggling Creed and my purchases (beacuse my stroller is in my car which is STILL in Ohio, but that's another story for another time), but I couldn't resist taking a few photos for you. I'm just sorry that I didn't note which pictures were from which farm.



Raspberries


figs (these were not grown locally, but they were grown organically)potatoes
My friend Em says the Belgian waffle guy is famous and they are amazing wafflesQuail eggs (wouldn't know how to use them, but they are so pretty)
Tarts
carrots
And there was so much more that I didn't take pictures of. Creed and I headed home with a bag full of potatoes, raspberries, and cherries. I think we could make the Farmers Market a Saturday morning tradition.

5 comments:

Britain said...

That looks like a great Farmer's Market. The first time I went to the one here in Henderson, there were more crafts than food; I was disappointed. But Nathan has gone a few times after that with some great produce, so maybe I just went at the wrong time of year.

KIC said...

Thanks for the low-down on the Provo Farmers Market. I have thought to go over there many times, but the idea of taking all three kids there by myself is a little fightening! Glad to know I am not missing much. :)

WendyandGabe said...

This is one of my favorite Saturday morning activities as well! We should go together sometime.

Heather said...

Looks delicious - well, except for the quail eggs...

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

one of our traditions when we lived in slc was to bike down to the farmer's market every saturday morning, get a real belgian waffel (plain...that's the traditional way), and then buy our produce for the week and bike home. if we slept in, we'd get a taco from junior's instead (look for the booth with the little kid wielding a huge meat cleaver).