Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I Want To Be The Kind of Mom Who . . .

I think this is going to become a regular feature on my blog because I'm always gathering ideas for new things that I want to try to become the kind of parent that I want to be. I hope that you enjoy reading about them to and maybe they will spark some ideas about the kind of parent that you would like to be.


I want to be the kind of mom who regularly takes my kids to book signings to meet our favorite authors and illustrators. I usually already have copies of the books that we are getting signed, but I've started buying new copies to be signed just for Creed so he will have his own library of autographed books to share with his kids someday. At each signing I take a picture of Creed with the author or illustrator and tuck it into the book we had signed.


I want to be the kind of mom who makes Memorial Day special. I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to do this yet, but I recently read on a blog somewhere (I wish I remembered which one) about a mom who doesn't live near any of her ancestors graves so she looks up some famous graves in the area and takes her kids to see them on Memorial Day and tells the story of each person as she making her visits so her kids get that Memorial Day is about remembering people. This is where Louisa May Alcott, the author is Little Women, is buried, etc. It could be an interesting activity to research whose graves you could visit (that sounds a little morbid, doesn't it?)
I want to be the kind of mom who takes the time out to spend with her friends, which might include a fun garden party like this one I saw on Design Mom. It was actually a bridal shower, but I love the idea of have a glass jar or vase labeled for each guest to fill with flowers and take home at the end of the evening. If you are like me, and don't have a lot of money, you could have each guest bring a few of their favorite flowers to share and then everyone could assemble their own bouquets. You could also pick up flowers at some place like Costco where they have surprisingly beautiful big bouquets that would provide plenty to share.


I want to be the kind of mom who plans readathons for her kids. My friend Mary Ann's mom regularly gathered her kids and their friends for a trip to the library and a stop to pick up favorite treats for such a special occasion and then they pushed their couches together to create a big cozy nest and the readathon began. I remember thinking that was the COOLEST thing ever!


I want to be the kind of mom who creates a caterpillar garden so her kids can watch the process of how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly.

Photo via Mindy Weiss.
I want to be the kind of mom who gathers the kids in the neighborhood for backyard movie night. The Hudsons do this and project the movie onto their garage door. There have been a few times that my dad signed out the projector from his office for an outdoor movie night and there's just something magical about watching a movie underneath the stars.










I want to be the kind of mom who can rock out to songs like this with her kids. I know, I know, I just posted a million videos, but this was just makes me too happy. The perfect meld of fun-for-kids, and music-I-want-to-listen-to, which I think is important. Just like I try to buy books with artful illustrations so Creed can grow up with an appreciation for good art, I'm trying to share some good music too (and yea, I know, what's good is all relative)

Photo via Restaurant Widow
I want to be the kind of mom who subscribes to a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). This means subscribing to a farm and receiving weekly boxes of their harvests during the growing season (about June through October). People join by purchasing a "share" of produce pre-season, then pick up their weekly produce from a central drop point in their area during the harvest season. You support local farmers and get very fresh produce. I think this would be good for me because I would be sure to receive some produce that I don't normally cook with and it would be fun to learn how to use it.


I want to be the kind of mom who attends a mother-son book club. I recently read about a great mother son book club that always has a great book-related activity planned for each meeting so the boys really get excited to read the books and meet for book club. My mind is already swimming with ideas, but for now, story time at the library will suffice.

I want to be the kind of mom who leaves a "wink to the next family" when I move. You'll have to read the article to understand that one, but Holy Cow, it's the coolest family mystery ever!


Photo via Cup of Jo
I want to be the kind of mom who will let my son be Mr. Bean for a day if he wants to.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! I just bookmarked it. You are too cute. (And it was fun meeting you the other night!)

Heather said...

Fantastic! PLEASE continue making posts like this so I can glean from your great ideas. Miss you.

Anonymous said...

You are the best, Steph! Thanks for the inspiration and for whatever it is worth, a white shower liner makes a perfect (and cheap) outdoor movie screen. I miss you!

Elisa said...

oh me too! me too! Except I have a fear of hosting parties (for adults, kids I can handle no problem), I don't know if I can get over that one.