Friday, December 07, 2007

Merry Freakin' Christmas

So far this month is not going well for the Borups and the Fords. There was our car accident, and then Candice's computer died, taking all of her photography files with it, we found out my grandma is sick and is undergoing testing to find out how serious things are, Monday Creed had a nasty case of diarrhea which required both of us to change several times (that was lovely) and we also got the news that we need to spend a small fortune to replace our back door, then Wednesday I get a call from Larry telling me he got rear-ended by someone who couldn't stop in the snow on his way to work (yes folks, that's two car accidents for us this week, one in each car although this one was a lot less serious). Things were getting so bad it was almost comical. Then after I talked to Larry about his accident, I put Creed down for a nap and sat on the couch with our computer and looked up just in time to see our Christmas tree FALL OVER. Seriously?!?!?! I don't even know why it fell, there wasn't even anyone moving in the whole house. At least the fireplace caught it and it didn't fall all the way to the ground, we just lost a couple ornaments.

Anyway, that night I was commiserating with my mom, when she broke the news that Hobbes, our family dog was diagnosed with cancer that day after the groomer nicked him and they took him to the vet because it was a mess. So sad! Here's a picture that Candice took of him two months ago.

So that's when my mom said, "Merry Freakin' Christmas!" Which made me burst out laughing because if you know my mom, that's just not something you would expect her to say, and I told her that I had to blog about it even though she was embarrassed that she said it.

So I guess I shouldn't have been shocked when I woke up this morning to this, huh?

I really think we may be cursed! How can that happen a second time? Creed's pants-less in the excersaucer because I rushed to change his poopy diaper and then put him in there while I mopped up the water (since of course the last thing we did before we went to bed last night was fill the base with water) and started picking up glass shards. And you wouldn't believe how many more ornaments fell off as I picked the tree up. NICE! Luckily Jessica came over to help with the cleanup and she brought her much better base so there better not be anymore Christmas tree disasters this year!

I have to admit, I've had some really low moments this week. I mean, this is supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year, right? But then I started thinking about it, and I guess if all of this stuff has to happen to you, Christmas time may be the best time of the year for it to happen because everyone is in loving and generous moods and there are so many reminders around of the Savior and what's really important. And we have also had some really lovely moments this week. Like the other night when our advent activity was reading Christmas picture books under the light of the Christmas tree.


Creed seeing snow for the first time.And Wednesday, as I Creed was napping and I was shoveling the driveway with the monitor clipped to my jacket, my twelve-year-old neighbor Connor came over with shovel in hand to help. We talked as we shoveled and Connor said besides playing football, he really likes to spend his time helping people and sometimes he volunteers at the soup kitchen. And oh yes, this kid is totally for real. Then we're talking about Christmas and I know his sister wants an Ipod for Christmas so I ask him what he wants and he says, "Well, my dad is a chef and he has to work at an event Christmas night, so that's what I want for Christmas, I just want to have my dad home all day long."

It makes it seem like the world is not all that bad, doesn't it?

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Great post. I love that Christmas time is a time to serve and to be served. How crazy about your Christmas tree! We just put up our real tree and are hoping our two little boys leave it alone, but we're not holding our breath!

Laura said...

Oh Wow, talk about a rough week. So sorry about all the bad luck. I love yout posts; they make me smile.

Britain said...

You know, Nate and I thought it was crazy when both of our cars had been in accidents (none of which were our fault) within the same year. The same week is just plain insane. May next week be less adventurous for you.

Krystal Trapnell said...

You can only go up from here right? Here's hoping the rest of the month makes up for the crappy start.

I always loved laying under the Christmas tree. This year maybe I'll take a book...

Reba said...

It could have been worse: the tree could have fallen at the exact moment you were reading books under the tree.

Here's hoping your Christmas season improves. :)

Anonymous said...

We're all healthy, and have survived felling of trees and car smashing, and now we're driving a minivan! I think this month is going well, and we still have Christmas coming up.

Faith W said...

Oh boy, that is much more than your share of bad luck, for sure. Especially at this time of year. If it makes you feel any better, our tree fell over this year too. It was after much fidgeting with lights, etc. too and it was two days before Chad or I had the patience to put it back together.

So, here's hoping the rest of your holiday season is happy and healthy and Merry Freakin' Christmas!

Serendipity said...

Oh dear! Not a fun thing to have happen, but it makes a great post!

Elisa said...

Unbelievable month! 2 car accidents...so strange! I love the quote from your mom. Nothing helps a sad situation like laughter, and that would have made me laugh!

I just found out I need $780 worth of dental work. I have been going around saying "NO Christmas gifts for me this year" and being very sad about it. Thanks for the perspective. I will try to snap out of my self pity.

Anonymous said...

Every town...
...has it's ups and downs...
...sometimes ups...
...outnumber the downs...
(everyone!)
BUT NOT AT STRINGHAMS/FORDS!

On the bright side, there are a great deal of new hazzards we can add to the POOPNUT GAME!!!