Friday, December 28, 2007

Homemade Christmas Project #3 - Lullaby CD

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find good non-cheesy lullabies? Just because a baby is going to listen to it, does it have to sound like elevator music? Come on people!


I decided to make my own CD of lullabies for Creed, and I made a copy for Audrey for Christmas. I suspect a few of you may be getting a copy from me too because I'm so happy with the songs that I found, and I figure that even if you don't have the same musical taste that I do, it's still handy to learn the words to a few lullabies because I was just singing bits and pieces to Creed and humming the rest until I made this CD and learned the words.



So without further ado, here and the songs I selected:


1. Moon River - Innocence Mission

2. Godspeed (Sweet Dreams) - Dixie Chicks

3. Count Your Blessings - Bing Crosby

4. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - Elizabeth Mitchell & Lisa Loeb

5. Dream A Little Dream of Me - The Mamas & The Papas

6. All Through The Night - Shawn Colvin

7. We’re Going To Be Friends - Jack Johnson

8. Bye-Lo - Innocence Mission

9. Sweetly Sleeps - Peter Breinholt

10. Over The Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo’ole

11. Close Your Eyes - Shawn Colvin

12. The Rainbow Connection - Sarah McLachlan

13. Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel) - Billy Joel

14. Chi-Baba Chi-Baba - Perry Como

15. Which Will - Nick Drake

16. Lullaby - Dixie Chicks

17. Slumber My Darling - Allison Krauss & Yo-Yo Ma

A few others that I thought about including that you might be interested in if you enjoy these are:

Golden Slumbers: Ben Folds or Beatles (Itunes doesn't sell Beatles songs because of a rights dispute and the Ben Folds version has a really loud part that I thought might wake a baby)

Sarah MacLachlan - Ice Cream

Sarah Maclachlan – Blackbird

Catch the Moon – Lisa Loeb & Elizabeth Mitchell

Across the universe - Rufus, Moby, Sean Lennon

Joshua Radin – Everything’ll be alright

You Can Close your eyes – Sheryl Crow (I really wanted to include this song, but Itunes doesn't sell it and I'm not tech savvy enough to know how to buy it somewhere else and import it into Itunes)

I also learned that if I was just going to buy a whole CD instead of create my own, I would probably choose Now the Day is Over by Innocence Mission or Catch the Moon by Elizabeth Mitchell and Lisa Loeb.

Enjoy!

I think I'm going to work on a good, happy Kids' music collection next. Any suggestions?

12 comments:

Cassie L. said...

Probably told you this, but we love the For the Kids Collection and there is a For the Kids Too and For the Kids Three. Happy songs by cool singers. Makes Mommy happy too. Thanks for the lullaby collection - I'll have to get onto itunes and burn it!

Melinda said...

I love that you still love Lisa Loeb...so many fun memories!

Mandy said...

Great list! I'm going to buy some of them and make a CD. Can I put my 2 cents in?:) I'd add to it several songs by Eva Cassidy, "Songbirg", "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", and my favorite, "I know You by Heart". Also, "Baby Mine" by Allison Krauss. While I'm at it, I'd add "Never Alone (Eeyore's Lullaby)" by Tyler Collins.

Anonymous said...

That looks like an awesome list of songs. I'll have to check them out on iTunes.

Kim said...

Oh Steph: My birthday is coming up. Maybe you could send one to me. Hopefully, we will have more grandbabies and I can learn them to sing to them. I think you are too big for me to rock and sing too.

Here is my favorite baby saying:
"Cleaning and scrubbing can wait for tomorrow
For babies grow up
We've learned to our sorrow.
So, quiet down cobwebs
Dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my babies
and babies don't keep."

It is sooooo true. Enjoy our Creeders.

Stephanie Ford said...

Baby Mine, I totally should have thought of that! Thanks for the suggestions mandy! I'm going to check them out right now.

Reba said...

Steph, I love love love the lullaby CD!

For the happy kids CD, here are some super peppy songs that the girls and I love:

I'm Walking on Sunshine (by somebody)
and
I'm in Love with a Girl Named Fred (from the musical Once Upon a Mattress--have you seen it? it's a great retelling of The Princess and The Pea. Ellie thought the Sarah Jessica Parker version was hilarious.)

Miss you,

Anonymous said...

We love Elizabeth Mitchell and own almost all her CDs. I highly recommend her others.

heather carter

Anonymous said...

Awesome list of songs. My friend is having a baby in February and I might make her a CD of songs for her baby shower. I was wondering -- what font did you use on the Cd cover (Creed's Lullabies)??

Thanks for your wonderful inspiration!!

Steph said...

Reba, I've never seen Once Upon a Mattress so I'll have to check out the Sarah Jessica Parker version. Thanks for the recommends!

Liz, The font is CK Neat Freak from the Creating Keepsakes site scrapnfonts.com. I still have it from back in the days when I was designing for them. I'm not positive, but I think it was designed by the ever talented Elsie Flannigan.

Heather said...

I'd love a copy if you get a chance, great job!

Mandy said...

I forgot my other two favorite Eva Cassidy songs, "True Colors" (GREAT cover of that song) and "You Take my Breath Away". Can you tell that I LOVE her??! haha.
She seriously has one of the best voices I have ever heard and I have heard a lot of singin' in my day.:0)