Monday, April 19, 2010

Glass Half-Full

Not much has changed around here; my hard-drive is still dead (although on the positive side, I had the Apple Care plan and they replaced the hard drive for free so now I'm busy setting my computer up and downloading the pictures I still have on my camera), our landlord is still making us move so she can live here temporarily, but I am feeling much, much better about life and it's mostly because of you, dear friends, reading this. So many friends, some we know and some we don't, have come forward to offer whatever they can (help, advice, words of support) and I don't think we could possibly feel any more loved, and that would make just about anyone feel pretty happy.

I thought it was cute that even Larry was touched by how many of you have commented. I didn't even know that he was reading the comments and he said he thought it was really cool how many people that we didn't know commented such thoughtful things. It's like we have secret friends all over, which sort of feels magical.

At any rate, we are doing our best to move on. We think we found a temporary apartment that will let us have a month to month lease (we filled out the application today so keep your fingers crossed that everything goes according to plan). It's literally half the size of where we live now so most of our things will go into storage (but I think it will be sort of refreshing to see how little we can live with. We have way too much stuff), and its a little shabby, and when we did a walk through tonight we realized that it does not have central air conditioning, BUT it's clean, it's only two streets away, the manager is really nice, the rent is really affordable, and we can stay there as long as we need to while we figure things out.

And Larry has a job interview that he's really excited about. The problem is that the job is in PITTSBURGH. Ummm, Larry always promised that when he was done with his training, I could choose where we would live, and I definitely did not choose Pittsburgh, BUT it's a huge opportunity for him. If his Salt Lake job hadn't fallen through, we wouldn't have even considered this opportunity so I can't help feeling like maybe this was meant to be. I guess we will just have to wait and see. Did I mention that they just rescheduled this job interview to exactly when we were planning to move? UGH! Well, it will all work out, right?

In the meantime, we're focusing on the positive and seeing lots of sunshine around here. Can you guess who just got a magical new pair of shoes?
I wasn't sure I should buy them because I knew they would be a pain to put on and lace up, but Larry said we HAD to get them because they would make Creed so happy. He was right, and Creed wants to wear them all the time.
So I guess it will come as no surprise that this is what he chose as his summer footwear?
He recently asked me if I would buy him all yellow clothes for Christmas.

Oh, I love this boy!

I've also finished some really fun little projects lately that I can't wait to tell you about so stay posted!

28 comments:

Shar said...

trav and i just gave talks on prayer this week in sacrament meeting. and i think i hadn't thought about prayer for a long time in the way that i should. i loved how president hinckley talked about it - prayer is enlisting the strength of God in our lives. So I'm praying for you that you'll feel the strength of God helping you. :) and i'm happy to come up and help pack or help on moving day in any way you need, so email me! :) we have to hang out somehow, right?
good luck on the interview Larry!

asheisele said...

I've heard Pittsburgh can be a wonderful place to live. And if nothing else, close to Philadelphia & New York! I'm just playing catchup on your blog and send warm wishes from Australia & can't wait to hear how everything works out. Because it really will all work out eventually.

Anonymous said...

Yes, things will all work out for the best. Whatever and whenever that my be. I wish you the best in the mean time.

Aspenchick said...

Yellow must be the new "blue" for little boys. Mine is obsessed too - we bought him yellow Converse for Easter, but they are too big and he is just itching to wear them!

That must be a resident / resident spouse deal that is made a lot. We have the same agreement, but I'm fearful that we'll end up in Alaska instead of somewhere I want.

Glad to hear you've found a place, moving is a pain, but it's only temporary and then you can move on with a fresh start!

My best friend lives in Pittsburgh and I visited last year - they have some great stuff to do with kids there!

Carolee said...

Just to put in a plug for PA, it is a beautiful place to live!

We were actually in Columbus when you guys were (you hosted a med-student get together at your house that we attended and I got to see your leaf plate collection in person:) and my husband has since matched for residency in a small Pennsylvania town called Danville. Anyway, we've made a few trips to Pittsburgh and they have an amazing kid's museum, even better than COSI. We also really enjoy the PNC baseball stadium, but I don't know if you guys are bball fans. Of course there's so much more there, but that's what I've seen first hand and thought was great.

Anyway, good luck with everything, I wish you all the best!

lisa h. said...

i'm glad things are looking up. i mean w/ creeds new shoes how can't life be good!? PA would be so fun w/ all the history to explore....i'll be excited to see where you end up next.

Jeremiah said...

Come on Lar Bear get the job in Pittsburgh ;)...... If he needs a place to stay while he is here interviewing let us know. Our home is your guys home always.

Pittsburgh isnt as bad as it National Reputation on the contrary we have been very surprised how much cleaner and nicer it is than we expected.

shellydinger said...

My husband dragged me kicking and screaming to Pittsburgh 4 years ago for school. We LOVE it. Super affordable to live, and ranked 4th best place to raise kids. After reading your blog forever I think your family would absolutely thrive here. Good Luck!

LeAnn said...

I think Pittsburgh is a charming city with the cutest zoo. If you end up there, you would find the best sides of it I'm sure. You always seem to.
Good luck with everything!

KIC said...

I sent your blog post about needing a new, temporary place to a friend (Marianne Zenger) in Cottonwood Heights. She has a great basement apartment. But, I'm glad to hear you have found a place in your neighborhood and that things are looking up! If you need boxes to pack up let me know. My husband can get tons (all the same size) from work.

Mom said...

Pittsburgh would be a mere 3 hours away from us - and in the same time zone. If I can't push for Columbus (get your PDH, Steph) Pittsburgh is a close second. I am relieved that you may have a temporary solution already -)
Hugs - mom Cat

Anna said...

I'm glad some things are falling into place.

And I'm having total stroller envy.

Oh and I love Creed's obsession with yellow, it's so cute.

Reba said...

glad things are looking better. We have spring shoe laces for Ellie's shoes. I got them at factory brand shoes, if you want to check them out. It's so nice not to keep tying and retying laces.

jaY said...

Maybe i'd be the last person to ask, but if u do need help moving, let me know. I got a trailer and could help ya move if Larry's gone. Also just curious, how'd Creed fall in love with the color yellow? Love the SLIPPERS. I hope you don't call them flip flops :P

Erin said...

Personally I am voting for Pittsburgh :) You would only be 5 hours away from us in Michigan which would mean that we could get together :) Call me selfish ;)

Danielle said...

my son is currently falling in love with the color yellow. downstairs he has a whole row of yellow cars along the window sill he's playing with. so funny.

Glad things are looking up for you guys!

Unknown said...

I'm glad things are looking better. I've been thinking about you and check your blog every day. I think Pittsburgh would be great because it's only 3 hours away from your 2nd home...Columbus. If you need help with moving, let me know. I've never been to Utah and love spontaneous trips. :) Jill

Nikki said...

I LOVE that so many of us living in Columbus are thrilled at the thought of you being only 3 hours away! Love ya and best of luck to Larry . . . maybe he needs yellow shoes for the interview?!

XO,
Nikki

Ryan and Shalee said...

What font did you use for Creed's #3 shirt??

R said...

Hey Steph!
Glad things are looking better. After your last post I called up my dad to see if any of his condos had openings. He said they didn't, but my parents said that if you guys really needed it you could live in their basement. They live in Sandy. It's not the best situation, I know, so I'm glad you found a place!
And as for Pittsburgh--yeah I'm sure it's better than what we think of it.
Maybe you guys should check out Mayo?! ;) I hear they have a nice signing bonus.
Then I would be soooo happy. :)

Elle said...

I have to put in my comment for Pittsburgh (as a current resident, of course.) It's a fun city, and I'd be happy to show you guys around and help with anything you need - and I'm definitely a built-in babysitter. :)
I'm glad to hear things are looking up, Steph.

Vaughn Mathis said...

Former Pittsburgh dweller here... and I have to say.... you will LOVE it with a capital L-O-V-E.

PS. Love the Quinny, we have one to and it is my one MUST HAVE piece of baby gear!

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

Steph - Glad to hear that your spirits are up. And, just so you know, Kirk and I love Pittsburgh, too! We have several friends there, so we visited them and did a craft show there when we were living in Ohio. The people are so nice, the town has lots of mom and pop businesses, and it is so affordable! Friends of ours bought a huge beautiful old house with wood floors and molding everywhere for under 100K. Kirk and I were even considering moving there for a bit.

Eva / Sycamore Street Press said...

Wait a sec...this would mean you guys would be so far away! We'd just have to do another craft show there and visit. :)

Tony said...

I'm with Mom and Leann and Jeremiah -- come back to Columbus or head out to Pittsburgh!

Stephanie Ford said...

Shalee - The font that I used is called Rosewood Std.

Everyone else - Thank you for all of your kind comments. You all make me feel to happy! And I hope that I didn't sound like I don't like Pittsburgh. I truthfully don't know that much about it, but it seems nice, just very far from our family here in Utah. I do have to admit that I love that we will be able to visit our Columbus friends again though!

applevalley said...

Larry and Steph, if you move to Pittsburg that is only the next state north of us, so you would be somewhat close to us and also somewhat to Jeremy and Valerie too.
Nadine Edgeworth

Jen said...

thought you may find this encouraging, RE: Pittsburgh (a city which I happen to love, but that's beside the point!)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36943721/ns/business-forbescom/?gt1=43001