Wednesday, September 14, 2011

If I Knew You Were Coming I'd have Baked A Cake, But I Always Have Cookies On Hand

Lately, we've been making lots of cookies or should I say, cookie dough because not many of them have actually made it into the oven.  We bake a tray or two, then we put the rest on a cookie sheet and pop them into the freezer to bake or snack on later.
You can put them really close together since you're just freezing them, just make sure to put wax paper or parchment under them so they are easy to get off of the cookie sheet.  You don't need to cover them and they'll get hard pretty fast.
Then you can stack them up in a freezer proof container and you have homemade cookies on demand.
I think it would be fun to make several different kinds and divide them up to deliver to friends.

PS- If you need a good cookie recipe, this is one of my simple favorites.  I wish I could give credit where credit is due, but I got it off of a package of chocolate chips at least 12 years ago, and I have no idea what kind of chocolate chips they were.  Sorry!

Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies
1 cup (2 sticks) butter softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar (I just use whatever brown sugar I have)
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chips (my friend Marta does half chocolate, half white chocolate)

Bake at 375 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes.  Makes 5 dozen cookies.

PPS- If you love cookie dough like I do, you might like this tip, my friend Melinda uses pasteurized eggs when she makes cookie dough so she can keep it in the fridge and she doesn't have to worry about any of her little ones sampling it. Brilliant, right? Why didn't I think of that on my own?

7 comments:

jskoll said...

I did this for a christmas gift for the ladies at daycare (gave them each a gallon ziplock bag filled with a batch of frozen cookie balls. They loved them! I included a note with instructions on time and temp and also the recipe name. I just used the chip bag's recipes also. It was such a hit they asked for the recipes and some said secretly it was their favorite gift!

Beazer said...

We were just listening to that song today on the radio! I seriously need to freeze some cookie dough to be a good wife -- Q asks for so little... cookies accessible at any time would make him smile.

SueB, Ont.Can. said...

Just finished making a batch of these this morning, best cookies ever. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

The Jensen Family said...

we do the same thing, my freezer is stocked with so many types of dough! pasteurized eggs are the best! i am so raiding your freezer when i come :)

jaY said...

So do we just email you our address to get cookies dropped off at our house ready to bake? haha hope you and your fam are settling into your new place good!

Anonymous said...

Same as Matilda's Mommy we gave these for Christmas last year in a brown paper sack that said "Everyone needs a bit more "dough" at Christmastime". People who were a bit over-sugared at the holidays thanked me since they stuck it in the freezer and had it later when they weren't on such a sugar high!!

Pixie said...

What I neat idea! The recipe looks pretty awesome too. Thanks for sharing.