Wednesday, November 25, 2009

You'd Think We'd Have Everything That We Need for Tiny Ford

Tiny Ford is not scheduled to arrive until the end of February, but I want to be able to focus on the holidays in between so I'm trying to get ready now. You'd think since we've already had a baby, and another boy at that, that we'd have most of what we need, but you'd be wrong. We knew we'd be moving a year after having Creed, plus, let's be honest, we were on a budget, so we borrowed everything that we could. Bouncy seat, swing, baby gym, exersaucer, bassinet: all borrowed from wonderful friends. And we inherited a stroller/car seat combo in great condition, but were in a car accident so the car seat had to go and we upgraded Creed to a bigger size, and then the handle broke off the stroller just before we moved and it couldn't be repaired so that didn't make the move either.

We're still planning to borrow a few items, but it's been fun to pick out some new things just for Tiny Ford. This probably seems like a materialistic post, but I love the idea of our kids being able to look back on this someday and compare it to what they will buy their kids. Plus, so much of my mind is filled with excitement for this new baby and I feel like this is one way to document that.

Even though we don't really NEED it, I couldn't resist this Baby Gym at Ikea. I love that you can take the toys off and rotate them with others.
And my mom bought us this Dwell Bouncy seat from Target, which just arrived yesterday. It has an Ipod dock, which I think is silly, but I had a really hard time finding one that could vibrate (essential as far as I'm concerned), wasn't covered in bright characters, and wasn't too expensive. I think this one is a happy medium and I really love it. Thanks so much, Mom and Dad!
And last, but not least, we had to have a stroller and an infant car seat for this baby. Creed REFUSES to ride in strollers so we didn't need a double (although I am sort of afraid that once the baby is being pushed in the stroller, he will want to be in the stroller too). All the strollers that I would love to have were WAY out of my price range so I've been watching the classified ads on KSL. After a few weeks I saw someone selling a Quinny Buzz. I did some research to find out how good of a deal it really was for a used stroller and came across an even better deal for a brand new one. It seemed like the price was way too good to be true, but the retailer just had one old color that they wouldn't be carrying anymore on super clearance so now Tiny Ford has an incredibly nice stroller for less that what I would have spent for one at Target. It has a memory foam seat that can recline or face backwards or forwards or can be completely removed to attach a car seat or bassinet. Larry loves that the handle easily extends so it's even comfortable for him to push. Creed has been taking his stuffed animal for walks in it. I have to admit though, that I feel a little weird walking around with it and having other moms look at me and thinking I would pay $600 for a stroller. Would you be self-conscious?
There are still a few things I'd like to get: a wrap to carry Tiny around (although I think I can probably make one), a swing (which we'll try to borrow), a bassinet of some kind since the baby will have to fit into the two foot space around our bed for the first few months somehow (which I would also love to borrow), new bottles (I tossed ours because they were made with BPA), a crib mattress (but that can wait until we move and this baby has a room). But overall, I'm feeling a bit more prepared.

14 comments:

Nikki said...

You sound very prepared and I LOVE the new stroller! Don't by a sling, I'm fairly certain I still have ours and it's orange. And, we'd be glad to give you our BPA free bottles (Born Free). Amelia is finished with the small ones and by the time Tiny Ford is ready for the bigger bottles, Amelia will be finished with those too. Plus, bottles and a sling are a bit easier to ship than the exersaucer.

Nikki said...

I meant "buy" not "by" . . . I need sleep!

lish said...

I couldn't resist the baby gym at IKEA either. Andy thought I was crazy spending $25 on something that Max didn't even notice initially, but it's paying off now that he can actually see it and he can reach up and hit the toys now too.

I LOVE the stroller. Who cares what other moms think? You got a great deal - enjoy it!

Becks said...

When my son was born, my mom really splurged and bought me an Orbit stroller. I had the hardest time using it for a couple of months because it got so much attention, and I felt so pretentious! I felt like I needed to tell everyone who commented on it that I had not, in fact, spent $1500 on a stroller!

lisa h. said...

i love that you call him tiny ford, cute. we were still buying stuff for baby #3, so I think it's ok. that stroller looks great, i've never heard of that brand. don't feel self conscious, it makes such a difference to have a nice stroller. i think more people would have better ones if Babies R Us or Target sold better brands. we have a double BOB and it was close to $600 and worth every single penny.

Vaughn Mathis said...

After you use this DREAM of a stroller you won't give two shakes what other moms think.

We have the Zapp and I am still in love with it! It is the most amazing, easy to use, smallest fold, easy to travel with WONERFUL most ESSENTIAL single GREATEST piece of baby gear ever.

Can you tell we love our Quinny here.

It's even greater if you use it in conjunction with the Maxi-Cosi!

It is like the look of a Bugaboo or stylish Stokke, without the insane price tag.

Plus, we got ours at a steal too, so I am sure moms will understand. :P

Anna said...

I saw that baby gym a while back and think we'll be picking it up too---it's one of the classiest ones I've seen at a good price.

And that bouncer is pretty darling...you have great taste as always. I think we're inheriting one and I can't pass up free...but if not that one from Target is a great option.

I love posts about baby, keep it up.

Faith W said...

Oooo...Steph! I have a baby carseat with your name on it if you want it. It is taupe and orange, Chicco, bought it new for Mason. Let me know if you are interested.

I just can't wait to meet Creed's new little bro. Makes me smile just thinking about it...

Stacey said...

I've been looking at that stroller, too! Where did you find the super good deal? Thanks - love the blog :)

Mom said...

Tiny Ford? If Creed is any indicator at all, he won't be Tiny for very long...
MISS YOU!
hugs, Mom Cat

darcie said...

we have the quinny buzz too, which you can drop the maxi cosi infant seat into. then when kjell outgrew the maxi cosi we got him the toddler version. so basically, this stroller has controlled all our purchases. i do get embarrassed sometimes like it's a little flashy, but it's a great stroller.

Shauna said...

Never feel self-conscious about your stroller! No matter what you spent (coming from someone who DID spend $600 on a stroller) a great stroller is worth its weight in gold. We're so excited for tiny Ford. Can we please live closer???

Erin said...

Have you seen the Joovy Caboose double stroller? I know you said that Creed refuses to ride, but this thing is amazing. He can sit or stand in the back. I LOVE this stroller (very reasonable price too), and honestly have no idea what I would do without it. Also, I never used a sling with one, but definitely did with the second. I still use it every so often, and she's 20 months old!!!

Erin said...

p.s., if you guys are going to be in S. Cal. for the holidays, I will give you our swing (assuming you have room in your car). :)