Friday, October 13, 2006

Thursday report

Yesterday was a pretty good day. During my lunch, I finished the invitations for a get together that we’re having with a few friends.

I stopped by to drop one off to my friend Jason who manages a car wash and he gave me a free wash (which I hate to admit how much my car desperately needed). Then right before I left work, I had an aha moment when I was thinking about a writing project that I’ve been wanting to start, but I couldn’t quite fit together. Then I headed home to host the grown-up book club I also attend. The book that I chose was I Capture the Castle (thanks to a recommendation from my sister Candice) and I was happy to hear that everyone loved it. Yesterday was really cold with a few snow flurries so I decided to make a dessert that would be good served warm and I settled on Jeaneane’s Pumpkin Cake. The recipe is posted on the Children’s Literature Book Club site, but I’ll post it at the end of this post for those of you who are interested. I recommend serving it warm with a little Cool Whip or vanilla ice cream.

Book club was great, but I had plenty of dessert leftover so Larry and I decided we had just enough time to make a few deliveries. I got to see that Lisa is over her strep-throat, I got to find out the sex of the baby my friend Katherine is having (and I’m not telling, you’ll have to talk to her to find out), and I got to see Rebekah’s new baby Moira (Yes, Rebekah who was just apple picking with me on Saturday had her baby on Monday and they are both doing well).

Here is the recipe for Jeaneane's pumkin cake (which is a little bit more like a cobbler than a cake)...
For the "crust"
1 yellow cake mix (minus 1 cup--for later)
1 egg
1 stick (1/2 cup) melted margarine/butter
Mix and place in 9x13

Then mix together--
2 cups pumpkin (I usually just use one small can which is 15oz.--close enough!!)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teas. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teas salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup evap milk
1 teas. vanilla
Pour this over the "crust"

Then "cut" and crumble over top--
1 cup cake mix
1 teas. cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold margarine/butter

Bake 45-50 minutes in 350 degree oven.

2 comments:

Del and Tina said...

Hey Stephanie, this is Del...could you email me your address? Tina and I want to send you a birth announcement. (It's about time...our son is 2 months old. We're slow like that.) Email me at del_mecham@yahoo.com. Thanks!

Elisa said...

Love the invitations, and that cake sounds wonderful...I think I will bring that to Thanksgiving dinner instead of pumpkin pie.