Monday, May 26, 2008

The Rest

The last time we went to New York, I was over six months pregnant with Creed and the city was decked out for Christmas with tourists bustling everywhere. Larry and I walked everywhere, which was a little hard on my pregnant body, and we did a lot of site seeing so this time we didn't feel like we had to see it all. We took our time and headed back the the Stringham's most afternoons for Creed to catch a nap.

Tuesday we spent the morning in Chinatown. I was happy to visit Muji, which was one of my favorite stores in Japan. It's not quite as affordable here, but it's still worth a visit.

We bought Creed this little set of New York In a bag to mix in with the rest of his building blocks. They also make Paris, Tokyo, and London and I'd love to collect them all. Randomly, the next day. It was funny to get back and read this post on a blog that a love and learn that the author, Jordan, was in New York at the same time and picked the same souvenir for her son.
There was a CB2 store next door and of course we had to visit the Pearl River Market a couple of doors down to pick up some of our favorite Asian treats and sushi supplies.

Candice Babysat for us so we could have a night out on the town. She pointed us to Max Brenner for dinner, which was great. They are known for their amazing and creative chocolate and I could have stayed there all night eating it (except that the lady at the next table decided to join her boyfriend on our little side of the bench and was literally sitting on me). We stopped at the TKTS booth to pick up tickets and I should have done a more little research ahead of time because my top choices were not even playing that night (theaters are traditionally closed on Mondays, which I remembered, but I didn't even think about the fact that some shows also opt not to open on Tuesdays too). After some debate we ended settling for the Little Mermaid because it's Disney and we knew it would be a safe choice, and we both had to admit we were a little curious about how they would pull it off (plus, it didn't hurt that the theater was across the street so we didn't have to worry about finding it, and who can complain when you're buying half price tickets the day of the show?)


The mermaids had fake tails that stood out behind them and swished back and forth and then the skated around the stage on Heely's to make it look like they were gliding through water. Ursula and her two eels were my favorites. It was fun being in an audience with so many kids who were so excited for the show. There was huge applause at every break.


Wedenesday we opted to start off with something that would be fun for Creed since her had a rough night without us so we headed to FAO Schwartz. When we got off the subway we were rigth in front of the plaza hotel.

I couldn't resist the chance to go in to see the portrait of Eloise, which was just moved back into the hotel. As predicted Creed loved FAO Schwartz! He couldn't resist giving a "love" to every big stuffed animal that he passed.

And check out all of these uglydolls!

We had to play the huge piano ala Big. They sell these pianos for $250,000.00. There employee told us he thinks the last time they sold one was in 2004.

Since we were already on Fifth Avenue, we headed down for some shopping because I wanted to pick up some Statue of Liberty pieces for our Mr. Potato Head collection, which they only sell at the NYC Disney Store, and Larry needed a hot dog from a street vendor.

We stopped at Saint Patrick's cathedral.

Sat on the steps for a snack while we people watched.

And eventually made it down to check out the lions at the public library Every time we enter a building, Creed check for an echo and he gets so excited when he discovers abuilding with a good one.

It wasn't so exciting when we were trying to take a look at the reading room!

Somewhere along the way we stopped for lunch at the Original Soup Guy and it was just as good as they made it out to be on Seinfeld, but they are a lot more friendly now that they are a chain.


That night was sushi night at the Stringhams' because Candice wanted a refresher course.

We made California rolls and Hawaiian style musubi.

I don't get to make sushi a lot because Larry's not the biggest sushi fan so it was fun.

Thursday, Larry stayed home with the boys so I could shop a little with Candice. She introduced me to Fishs Eddy, which quickly became one of my new favorite stores. I wanted twelve of everything, but a settled for a set of polka dot glasses since we're moving soon, and I had to carry my purchase for the rest of our shopping trip.


After that we headed to the Park Slope neighborhood in Brooklyn to buy some huge cupcakes and Downtown Atlantic.

We also stopped at City Foundry because they have the coolest letters from old signs (but not a single "&" for my collection) They actually rent things to magazine like Country Home for photoshoots and I swear I've seen some of their antique globes in a room in a catalogue, which was fun.

Candice found some letters to take home so she had to walk home like this.


That evening Larry and I took Creed to walk around Soho and sadly this picture at the Scholastic store is the only one that I took. he was so excited about the big Clifford (not that he knows who clifford is, but he loves dogs).


We made our way back down to Chinatown where I was taken in to a back room to check out some knockoff purses (which I did not buy because I'm not really into supporting the back market, but it was a fun experience) and we found some manapua for dinner (roast pork buns that I grew up on in Hawaii and I have no idea what the real Chinese name is. Instead of an ice cream truck, there was a manapua man that would drive his truck around town like once a week).
Friday brought us to Madison Square Park for the Shake Shack. I don't think you can even begin to get an idea of what the line was like from this picture.


Larry and I both agreed that it was worth it.


After walking around Washington Square and listening to the street performers, Candice and her kids headed home and Larry and I took Creed to MOMA. It was crowded because it's free on Friday evening, but we didn't want to go when we had to pay full-price because we weren't sure how entertained Creed would be. We saw a little Van Gough


Creed slept among some Waterlilies


And Larry saw the Rothko he has proclaimed as his favorite painting in the whole world so I think we were all happy.

They had these crazy yellow lights by a photo exhibit that had Creed very confused.

We went over to the Guggenheim too, but decided Creed would never make it through the line winding around the block so instead we enjoyed it from the outside while we watched joggers in Central Park and Creed snacked.


Then it was time to mmet the Stringham's in Brooklyn so we thought what better way then the Brooklyn Bridge on foot? There's an elevated walkway in the middle with cars down below on both sides.

It was a beautiful day for a walk.

At the base of the bridge, we met the Stringhams to watch Enchanted for free at the park. The little girl from the movie was there and it was fun to see all the little kids lined up for her autograph.



We stayed long enough to see the bridge light up in different colors to celebrate its birthday.
Saturday, we spent the morning just hanging out and then we went with the Stringhams to Coney Island.

The whole week, the only time I felt a little worried about safety was at Coney Island, because there were so many police officers EVERYWHERE. It made me think bad things must have happen to require that many to be there. I'm still glad that we got to see it before they tear it down next year.

And we couldn't leave without having hot dogs form Nathan's, but it was hard to get Creed to stop people watching long enough to eat a bit.

Sunday we were sad to go. We opted out of church since Creed spent the night throwing up and that seemed to be a good choice because we had some ugly moments on the way home.
He loved have two older cousins to follow around.

And we will miss this awesome family (with two little boys we struggle to take pictures of, which is why I included the previous photo of them so you will know they are actually quite sweet).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was fun and we miss you! Glad that you had a good time.
You are my sister and I love you to pieces but if you don't take that horrible picture down of me in front of the cupcake shop we might not be able to be friends anymore! Seriously. It's not my best. And I am going on a diet starting today! Please take it down, please oh please!

Candice

Anonymous said...

LOL! I can't stop calling people "Stinky B" ...and you left some shirts of Creed's here. I'll put them with the others :) WE MISS YOU!

Heather said...

Looks fantastic! I just don't know if I'm brave enough to go with three kids. What do you think? Would it be worth it?

Anonymous said...

Ohhh! Thank you for posting this! It reminded me of all the reasons we're happy to move to NY (because right now I'm stressed and it's hard to think of the reasons..) By the by, I just bookmarked those blocks from Jordan's blog. And I hope Candice didn't take all the good S's from the City Foundry, darn her having the same last inital as me! When we tried to go in April they were closed.

Stephanie said...

What a fun tour you gave us all of NYC! I've never been but now I know all the great places to visit :)

Serendipity said...

Looks like a wonderful trip...I was hoping to see an umbrella photo of your family! :)

lisa h. said...

y'all are always up to something fun! i love reading all the places you went to.