Thursday, October 08, 2009

Luck, be my lady tonight.

I've never considered myself one of those lucky people, you know those people who regularly win cars in raffles and vacations for being the 1,000,000th customer (Marissa has a friend like that though and so do I).

Granted we do have the occasional strike of luck around here, like a few months ago when I woke to the sound of Creed playing in the bathroom. He usually wakes me first thing, and I immediately knew something was wrong. I ran into the bathroom to find him standing on a stool, sink running, with my contact case half open. No contact in sight. I wear gas permeable contacts that run close to $300 a pair and last about three years. AHHHHHHHH! I panicked and hopelessly searched the floor just in case because I don't have an optometrist here yet and don't have a way to get a replacement lens. It was nowhere to be found.

I shed a few tears as I comforted Creed who clearly knew he did something he wasn't supposed to. Then we said a little prayer together. I gave up on the search and picked up the rug since I noticed in my search it could use a wash and there, underneath the middle of the rug, sat my contact, still in perfect condition. Wow!

And then there was last Christmas, when Larry was heading from my parents' house up to Salt Lake to work and couldn't find his I-pod as he was getting in the car. He was pretty sure it was somewhere in the car and decided to look for it later. He called me that night to tell me that it wasn't in the car after all and asked me to check by my parents' kitchen table. He was 95% positive that's where it was, but there was a slight chance he dropped it in the snow outside. I got caught up putting Creed to bed and forgot to look until the morning, when I discovered the I-pod was not in the kitchen. It was not in the house. I had no hope in finding it in the 6 inches of fresh snow outside, especially after many cars had come and gone and it was probably smashed to pieces anyway, but like I good wife, I trudged out there in my wellies and kicked the snow around. I couldn't find it anywhere and just as I decided to go inside, my boot hit something. The Ipod, case full of ice. I took it in sure that it was ruined for life, but I accidentally turned it on as I pried the case off to break off the ice and it worked flawlessly. Yes, Larry was seriously lucky with that one.

Well, a month ago, I headed to the doctor's office with Creed in tow to hear our new baby's heartbeat for the very first time. Larry had to cancel last minute because he was stuck in a conference so I felt very alone when my doctor's eyes got larger and larger as she listened for a heartbeat and there wasn't one. When she finally turned the doppler off, there was a deafening silence, and I felt almost a sense of relief that at least for a moment, she didn't say the awful words that we both knew she had to say, because I didn't think my heart could take it. She slipped out of the room and came back a minute later, and asked if I could head straight to the hospital for an ultrasound. She said they would be waiting for me there.

I cried the whole drive there. It was all I could do not to loudly sob because I was trying my hardest not to freak Creed out, and from the backseat he kept asking, "Mama, you ok? Mama, you feel better, ok?"

Larry met me at the hospital door with a long silent hug and we headed up for the ultrasound. A chatty girl in the waiting room informed us that I'd be after her and a few other women, and I'm sure she was annoyed when they skipped everyone and asked me to come back, but I just couldn't bring myself to explain why they were rushing me ahead of everyone.

It only took moments for them to bring the baby up on screen and it was immediately clear that it was squirming all over the place. As I watched its tiny heart flutter, I can honestly tell you that I've never felt so lucky in all my life.

I'm due at the end of February and am trying to patiently wait until the 20th to find out what I am having. Just like my last pregnancy, I am still feeling sick (poor Larry has cleaned up a lot of throw-up) and now regularly feeling the baby move around makes the nausea even worse, but I swear, each tiny twitch and pokes makes me feel like the most incredibly lucky person on earth. Now we just have to wait until February to meet this fantastic new little person!

PS- If you see Creed and he asks you about the baby in your belly, please do not be offended, he currently thinks everyone has a baby in their belly.

PPS- I wanted to include a picture of my belly, but it seems I have no recent pictures because I've been the one taking all of our pictures. I tried to take one myself this morning and this was the best that I could do.
So I asked Creed to take one and this is how he did.
And then of course he needed me to take a picture of his belly too.

33 comments:

Star Gazer said...

What a wonderful post! Thank you for reminding me of all of the ways we are blessed and lucky in our lives. :) Congratulations on the healthy baby! You're amazing!

Megan said...

That's funny, because I think you are super lucky! (But I am one of those people who never thinks about money, so I don't think of luck as having to do with finances...we don't have much, so I don't think about it, I am just careful with what I have!) Good luck with the pregnancy, Creed is going to be an awesome big brother.

Ellen said...

CONGRATS you guys! It is definitely lucky to have a good pregnancy and I'm SO happy that everything is okay!!

jaY said...

i hope everything goes well for you...thats really exciting and hey-ur pretty much halfway there!!!

ps. i was driving home from work the other day and on the radio was TLC's song "waterfalls" and i started cracking up cause everytime i hear it i think bout u and see u lipsyncing the WHOLE SONG!!!

Sara said...

Stephanie,
Congrats! I'm glad the day ended so wonderfully. I think the luckiest person is the little baby who gets to have you!

Robin said...

Congratulations Stephanie! I've been in similar circumstances and know just what you mean!

riann said...

congrats to all three of you. You are so creative in your writing skills, I love how you take us all on your journey. Good luck with the pregnancy.

Laurel said...

Oh, my goodness! Congratulations!!! I know a little from my own experiences how much and for how long you've been wanting another baby, and I can't tell you how excited I am that you indeed had good news from the hospital. The 20th will come before you know it. :)

Heather said...

Oh Steph, don't do that to me. It was horrible reading about the doppler and the sobbing trip to the hospital. Thank goodness it had a wonderful, happy ending! I'm so relieved. My biggest congratulations to your whole family. May the vomiting be over soon.

lisa h. said...

Congratulations!! I didn't know you were expecting again! I'm glad the baby is doing well. I'm sorry you don't feel well, Feb isn't too far off, so only a few more months of feeling blah.

ellen said...

Congratulations! I had a feeling you might be pregnant (and I don't even know you -- is that weird? wait -- don't answer!). Lucky all of you!

Malinovka said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so glad there was a miraculously happy ending to your post! I'm so excited for you, and I love how Creed is responding to the news! :) I hope the throwing-up stage ends soon--I can't remember how things were when you were expecting Creed...

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

OH YAY, that was quite the emotional roller coaster for you! How fun though and even more wonderful to appreciate every time you feel that baby move. Hope you are feeling better. Love Creed showing off his belly!!

Nikki said...

We are SO, SO excited for the three (four) of you! i shared the news with Audrey tonight and she is prepared to give Creed tips. : ) Love to you all!

Erin said...

Erin and Bryan both totally welled up with your post. Congratulations on your healthy pregnancy! Two definitely changes things in many big and wonderful ways. So happy for all of you!!!!!
lots of love, the Giglias

Elisa said...

Oh Steph congratulations!! I am so happy for you guys. I had a not-as-tramatic-but similar experience. I does make sickness easier to bear.

Can't wait to find out what you are having...blog please!!

ali monson said...

CONGRATS! That is so exciting! I can relate to the scary ultrasound in some ways. I am so glad things are okay. Hope you feel better soon.

Reba said...

Congratulations, Steph! Your (and Creeds) bellies are adorable. I'm so happy for you.

Dehner Family said...

Congrats you guys!! I am so glad your story had a happy ending. I am thrilled for you guys and no doubt this baby will be as adorable as Creed. YA!!!

Kim Ryden said...

Congrats! I can't wait to see pictures of your new addition!!!

Sunny said...

I don't know you but I got that feeling that you might have a baby in the works. Congratulations!! What a wonderful post!

I am Laura said...

Congratulations!! What a scare. I am so glad it wasn't anything and that the baby and you are doing great. I am super excited for you. You are such a cute mom that I admire so much. This baby is so lucky to come to your family.

Noelle said...

Congratulations to all! I'm so happy to hear this news and I too am happy this story had a happy ending. Too much pregnancy sad news lately.

Diana said...

Congratulations on your VERY exciting news. I had a feeling you might be...

Anna said...

You are such a wonderful mother, what a lucky baby. Congrats.

TX Girl said...

What exciting news. Congratulations!

.Amber. said...

Big congrats to all of you! I had no idea you were expecting, thats so exciting! Glad to hear Creed is excited :-) Can't wait to hear what you're having, Creed is gonna make an AWESOME big brother!

Krystal Trapnell said...

Yay! So happy for all three of you!

WendyandGabe said...

Wonderful, wonderful news! Your post was very touching. I'm very happy to hear that you are expecting.

Krista Hansen said...

Congrats!!! You guys make such beautiful children and I can't wait to see the next one. Two kids might just kill ya, but in a good way.

Shar said...

i was so glad to hear that everything is healthy and great with the baby and you! having two will be fabulous! I love it. It's like seeing a whole new side of your baby when they get a sibling. so much fun!

Shauna said...

Congrats on your wonderful news! We are so happy for you!

taniawillis said...

awwwwwwwwwww! CONGRATS! awesome way to tell the world. lucky indeed!