Friday, February 08, 2008

Columbus Corners


I love this site about local Utah happenings in the Salt Lake and Provo area called Your Heart Out. It's making me think maybe life in Utah won't be so bad. Even if I have no friends, I'll know about some really cool places to explore.

I've been finding myself wishing for a cool site like that about Columbus. There's the Restaurant Widow, of course, full of helpful information about local food, and she does list event around the city every week, but it's just not the same (although I do really love her blog and recommend you check it out if you are in Columbus).

I am not nearly cool enough nor do I have enough freetime put together together the Columbus version of Your Heart Out, I'm just one plain old mom afterall, but I'm doing my best to take advantage of the city until we move so I've decided that the least I can do is feature a spot of event in the Columus are once a week. Some of these are new discoveries and some are old favorites.

This week I decided to drag my friend Jessica to find the new cupcake bakery in German Village that my friend Eva told me about. It's called Bakery Gingham and it's located on the corner of Whittier & Mohawk, attached to the Brown Bag Deli.
I think you can enter from the street under theat pink awning, but we follwed Eva's directions and entered through the Brown Bag Deli. Cut across the deli and go down the hall and you will find yourself here.

Yes, folks, this is the whole bakery, it's tiny, but it's fun. That's owner and baker Amanda in the photo. She opened the shop the day after Thanksgiving and things seem to be going well.

She also makes cakes, but you have to order them ahead of time. Cupcakes run about $2.50 and the flavors are always changing so next time you're in German village stop by and check it out. Creed seemed to enjoy it. I couldn't even get him to look at the camera because he was busy looking for more!

6 comments:

Melinda said...

I am here to guarantee you will not have no friends in Utah. And I love Creed's food face!

lisa h. said...

thanks for always recommending places! i get so many great ideas from you!

KIC said...

Thanks for the link to "Your Heart Out." We've only been in Provo for about a year and it's fun to discover new places. You always have the best ideas!

Anna M said...

Stephanie, you are such an adventurer!

Anonymous said...

Plain Mom nothing - you're a HOT mom!!

TX Girl said...

You totally rock. I am so loving this site with all the cool things to do. I really think you are going to love living in SLC. I'm assuming y'all will be up by the U and it really is a great place. I am amazed how much it has changed since we left 10 years ago.