Wednesday, August 27, 2008

What can you get at Lake Tahoe for $20?

A lot if you're checking out garage sales.

I don't know if my mom will forgive me for letting you in on the secret, but the best place to go garage saling (I know that's not a real word) is Lake Tahoe. I think it's my mom's favorite thing to do at Lake Tahoe because there are a lot of wealthy people with vacation homes there that they are cleaning out and remodeling, so many items are barely used and most of the owners don't bother to haggle over prices. And there's not much of a market for kids' items, so even when you start out late in the day, you can find some gems.

We spent an hour garage saling Saturday morning. I spent $20 (and I am not much of a haggler myself) and here's what I ended up with.

A child-size doctor's coat to go in Creed's dress-up box, which I don't have a photo of, but I assure you that it is cute.

A toddler carrier for hiking (which I have been wanting, but wasn't willing to pay full price for since Larry works so much that I don't think it will get a ton of use). I also spotted two jogging strollers, but I knew I would be pushing it just to get the backpack home. I thought I would have to leave the backpack at the cabin for use next summer, but my dad the engineer miraculously fit it in along with all of our luggage and my mom's garage sale purchases.

A Little People farm, which it seems was mixed up with the Little People Zoo, thus the kangaroo, but luckily, my mom bought the zoo and the train set at the same sale so we can get it sorted out.
Kids books, which you know I don't NEED, but it's nice having 25 cent copies that Creed can drag around in his wagon without causing concern. I also had a copy of Go Dog Go, but I gave it to Marissa as part of a compromise, so I could buy this vintage copy of Richard Scarry's Going Places that we both spotted. Hello, 50 cents for one of the most charming books ever!
Who can resist Pip pip goes to London?
And Creed is already enjoying the section in the back on things that go with beautiful illustrations like this.

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Wow!! That's a LOT of stuff! And I LOVE Richard Scarry!!